Jumolhari Loop Trek
Jomolhari Loop is the shortest of the Jomolhari trekking routes, which are the most popular treks in Bhutan. With altitude differences of 2,500m and nearly 5,000m it offers a wide range of landscapes, fauna and flora. The highlight of this trek is the spectacular view of Mount Jomolhari from Jomolhari Basecamp (Jangothang).
Season: April to June, September to November
No.of Days / Duration: 11Book Now
- The most spectacular mountain flights you will ever experience in a life time. Flying in from the heat of the plains of India one can witness from the left side of the aircrafts window a series of the world’s highest peaks.
- Your pilot will announce the names of the peaks if the weather is clear. You will descend into the high mountains and as the plane lowers you will not find any airstrip or any city but instead you will enjoy the view of the approaching valley of Paro, the alpine forests, little monasteries, temples and farm houses. Before the plane touches the runaway you will get a glimpse of the fertile valley of Paro, the Paro Dzong (Fortress) and Paro chu (river). Our representative will be at the airport to assist you and visit Paro Dzong and Dumtshe Lhakhang.
- Overnight at Hotel in Paro.
- Taktshang (Tiger’s Nest) falls in top 20 places to visit in the world. Paro is a valley of religion and myth. The most famous landmark, Taktshang Monastery (Tiger’s Nest), stands on a granite cliff about 1000 m above the valley.
- It is believed that Guru Rinpoche, a famous Buddhist saint, flew to Paro on a tigress and meditated at Taktshang. The monastery is considered a national treasure of Bhutan.
- The hike to Taktshang would take us around 2 ½ hrs to reach a cafeteria, a point from where one can enjoy great view of the monastery. Those interested can walk further 45 minutes uphill to get a closer view of the monastery. Walk down back to road. The journey downward to the road would take us less 1 ½ hrs. Have lunch in Hotel. After lunch take a walk in Paro Bazar for shopping. Overnight at the Hotel in Paro.
- Its 40mins, 80 m descent, and the camp altitude are at 2,850 m.
- This trek begins at Gunitsawa Village were you pass the army post. At the army check post your trek permit (provided by your tour operator) will be checked and endorsed. The campsite is on the opposite side of the river, not far from Gunitsawa.
- Distance is 22 km, of 7-8 hours, 770 m ascent, 10 m descent, camp altitude 3,610 m.
- The trail continues with lots of small ups and downs.
- Your walk uphill through the river valley and the valley finally narrows gradually to a mere path which descends to a meadow where a camp will be set up. From here, you will have the first great view of Mt. Jomolhari.
- Distance is 19 km, 5-6 hours, 480 m ascent, camp altitude 4,080 m.
- You will have a chance to get a great view Mt. Jomolhari early morning.
- The morning trek continues up the Paro Chhu valley which widens into patches of alpine meadow and scanty growths of forest.
- You will cross an army checkpoint along the way and enjoy a spectacular view of high mountain ridges and snow-capped peaks.
- Yaks and their herder’s homes are the facet of the landscape. Passing the villages Soe, Takethang and Dangochang is another asset on this day.
- You will be reaching Jangothang, one of the most beautiful campsites of the Himalayas. A spectacular view of Mount Jomolhari can be enhanced again.
- It will be a rest day which provides you with plenty of possibilities for day hikes with great views of lakes and snow capped mountains such as Jomolhari and Jichu Drake.
- There are good chances to spot some blue sheep on the upper slopes of the valley. Jangothang is a perfect environment for your acclimatization. You can also trek up to Tosoh or hike around the area. There are good short hiking trails in three directions. Jomolhari and its subsidiary mountain chains lay directly west, Jichu Drake to the north and there are a number of unclimbed peaks to the east.
- Distance 16km, six to seven hours, 810m ascent, 1,090m descent, camp altitude 3,800m.
- The trail leads to a last settlement in the valley and drops to the Paro Chhu. Passing the lake of Tshophu (4,380m) you will climb up steeply to Bhonte La pass at 4,890 m, the highest point of this trek rout. Reaching the Dhumzo Chhu River, you trek downstream passing the few houses of Soi Yaktsa (Dhumzo) to arrive at your camp soon after.
- Distance 11km, four to five hours, 720m ascent, 340m descent, camp altitude 4,180m.
- The trail climbs 100m over a ridge to drop to another stream then. After crossing the Takhung La pass (4,520m) you descent to Thombu Shong, three yak herder huts with your campsite next to them.
- Distance 13km, four to five hours, 200m ascent, 1,650m descent, camp altitude 2,850m.
- After crossing Thombu La pass (4,380m) you will finally reach Gunitsawa where you will be picked by our team unless you may decide to stay at the campsite, Sharna Zampa, where you stayed the first night of this trek.
- Visit King's Memorial Chorten (Stupa). This Stupa was built in the memory of our Third King of Bhutan.
- Buddha Point (There is a statue of Buddha which is 169 feet).
- National Library: There are lots of Bhutanese scripts and also we have the biggest book in the world.
- Handmade Paper Factory: The Jungshi handmade paper factory uses traditional methods to produce the authentic Bhutanese paper known as Deh-sho.
- Takin Preservation Centre (contains national animal takin): Evening at leisure or take a walk to the main city from Clock tower square for shopping. It provides excellent opportunity to mingle with local people.
- Overnight at a hotel in Thimphu.
- Receive and Transfer to Airport
- Double/Twin in 3 Star Hotel
- 3 Meals every day with Evening Tea
- Toyota SUV for FIT & Toyota Bus for Group with Driver
- English Speaking Guide
- All Sightseeing
- Museum Fees
- Bhutan Visa
- All Permits
- Bottled Mineral Water
Cost Does Not Include:
- Donations to Monasteries
- Alcohol & Beverages
- Tips for Guide, Driver & Hotel Staff
- Gifts & Souvenirs
- International Telephone Calls
- Round Trip Air fare
- Inbound Airfare